Federal Contracting Basics
This course is recommended for 10.5 Continuing Legal Education credits (CLEs) and 11 Continuous Learning Points (CLPs). It also offers 11 Contract Management Education (CME) units, and is approved by NCMA for Continuing Professional Education (CPE) credit in support of certification and recertification. A Federal Contracting Institute® certificate of completion will be provided to all attendees upon conclusion of the class.
The Federal Contracting Institute® is a certified NCMA Education Partner.
Dates and Locations
Hours 8:30 AM–3:30 PM both days Breakfast and registration open at 8:00 AM.
The $1095 registration fee includes breakfast, light refreshments, and course materials. View our registration policies.
*If you have a promotion code, please enter the code during checkout to receive your discount.
Why Are We The Best?
Jim Hiles is an acquisition expert with over 30 years of experience in business operations, logistics, acquisition and the FAR. Jim has been directly involved in the submission of over 400 proposals to a wide variety of commercial and government clients. He has led strategies and team formation, pricing, staffing, and competitor analyses. He has also held positions in executive roles overseeing and implementing solutions and delivering services.
Jim served in the U.S. Navy for 23 years, the last of which were spent managing the purchase of large amounts of primarily services, but also weapons systems and components. Jim has vast knowledge about the buy-sell of the government from the buy side. He has a broad base of practical experience developing, maturing and growing organizations. He is a skilled researcher, facilitator and instructor.
- Basic principles governing federal contracting
- The Federal Acquisition Regulation
- The procurement planning process
- Traditional government contract formation principles
- The commercial contract revolution—GSA Schedules, MACs, GWACs, and IDIQ contracts
- The contract award process
- Types of contracts
- Government-unique business and accounting issues
- Socioeconomic programs
- Contract administration issues
- Dispute resolution processes
Learn How To:
- Effectively respond to everyday problems
- Identify unique differences between federal government contracting and commercial contracting
- Comply with the legal and regulatory framework governing federal contracts
- Abide by unique government obligations
- Keep pace with the latest issues in procurement reform
- Respond to compliance and ethics issues
- Manage the procurement process—from initiating or responding to requests for proposals to contract closeout
Thank you! I was impressed to see the course being taught by actual lawyers—lots of great one-on-one!! —Marjorie Love, Inverness Technologies
This course is taught at our Federal Contracting Institute®. View our location, area hotels, restaurants, and transportation here.
This course can also be brought on-site. To learn more, click here.
Online registration is available up to days prior to the start of the training. To register after the cut off please contact Amanda Phan at
(703) 288-7010 x241 or email@example.com